Monday, November 8, 2010

Back Skiing in the USA

For the last month I have been in Washington DC completing my summer fitness program and working with the Boys and Girls Club FBR Branch. Even though DC is a huge city it has lots of parks and common spaces. This makes it fairly easy to put together an outdoor workout, either biking/running or plyos, instead of having to head for the gym every day. Also, the weather at this time of the year in DC is unbelievable, as the humidity and temperature from the late summer has pretty much gone away.

The BGC was exciting to be a part of on such a regular basis and I am bummed to be leaving them. I had a great time working with the kids and employees in their after school program, either with homework or in the gym playing some sort of game. A lot of the kids have never seen "snow skiing" on TV let alone participated in it themselves, so I spent some time whenever someone would ask explaining what it is that I do. I worked it out with the program director that I would send him a postcard with an update where I am/what I am doing throughout the winter, so hopefully if I come back to work with them it will make more sense.

Yesterday I arrived in Colorado for my last block of training before the NorAm season kicks off at the beginning of the month. There isn't much snow out here except for the training lanes set aside just for race training so I wouldn't recommend trying to get in a ski vacation just yet. However, a storm is supposed to roll through in the next couple of days and drop at least a foot in the area. This would be very helpful in opening up more training lanes and skiable areas as Colorado starts to fill up with more race teams and tourists.

There is a prep race this Thursday and Friday in Vail that is only open to the top 350 in the world, and with the bulk of the US Team here it should be a pretty good race. Hopefully this kicks off a great month in Colorado and season going forward. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of an offseason in which I worked very hard and was able to fully heal from all my injuries last season. Let's hope it works out.

It's great to be skiing again!!!

0 comments: