Sunday, January 16, 2011

NorAm Recap, Ziggy and Europe

This is the first reliable internet connection that I have had since getting to Europe, so I'm a little slow on the NorAm update from earlier this month in Quebec. I skied well in the slaloms, getting 5th and 8th place in the two days and moved up in the NorAm SL standings. I am around 40 NorAm points out from the top two positions so I have a definite shot at reaching my goal of getting a WC spot if I ski the way I know that I can at NorAm Finals (2 SL, 2 GS).

The GS races didn't go nearly how I had hoped. I am pretty bad on flat hills and the GS venue had plenty of it, even a short uphill section. In my opinion it should never have been chosen as a place to hold a NorAm, but given my performance that might just sound like sour grapes. The first run of my first GS race, with the leader bib, I skied a little cautiously on the middle steep section and underestimated what this would do to my time. Starting 3rd I finished the run in 22nd, less than 9 tenths off the lead, and only 4 tenths out of 4th. Flat hills tend to push the times together. The second run was better but I was unable to make up huge amounts of time and I ended the day in 16th.

I was pretty upset that I had skied sub par in the most important run, so far, of my season. I decided to attack the course the next day and ski with much more purpose. On the first run I skied well up top and off the pitch, and was executing my game plan. On the bottom flat I let my skis run a lot more but pinched off a gate over a roll on the bottom of the course, got low in my line and was fighting to get back to the next gate which happened to be in a compression. At the last second I realized that I wasn't going to make the gate, or if I did, that I would be doing the same thing for my next turn. I ended going under the panel and through the two GS poles, a la Kyle Rasmussen at the 98 Olympics. This was extremely upsetting. I did not think I was anywhere close to danger and the suddenly I was out. However, upon realizing how close I was to potentially detonating for yet another time, I decided that the outcome could have been worse. As it turned out I wasn't the only one who had problems at this gate. I ended the series in about the same position as where I am in the SL standings, with a real shot at making this season a success in both events.

I flew to Europe one day after the NorAm series and about 12 hours after Ziggy, the Kelly's dog, got ahold of my helmet when I was unpacking my car at their house and chewed off part of the earpiece and bit threw a pair of googles. Calling Jed, the Uvex rep, was rather interesting. I was a little out of sorts since I had to fly the next morning, but he and Chris Frank saved the day and got me to Europe with a functioning helmet.

Europe is very warm. So far I have been here for ten days and only today raced for the first time. I had been 0 for 4 for races happening up to this point, so it was finally good to actually go out of a starting gate even if I did go out in the second run. Tomorrow I am heading to Zuoz, Switzerland for some training with the Team and hopefully a start or two at another Europa Cup. Pray for cold(er) weather!

0 comments: