Sunday, May 29, 2011

Tony's Metropolitan Fitness and Safety Academy

When I got down to DC for the offseason I decided that I needed to work out at a new gym. The lack of running that I would be doing this summer because of the healing soft tissue in my knee meant that I would spending more time in a gym, and I wasn't feeling too motivated to head back to my typical spot. That's when I found Tony's Metropolitan Fitness and Safety Academy. Located in Anacostia just over the water from the Navy Yard, and next door to the DCPD property reclamation station for discharged inmates, Tony's gym is primarily a boxing gym that trains local up and coming boxers. Tony opened his doors 15 years ago has a trained 8 gold gloves and some pro boxers, and has a reputation for being a no-nonsense gym.

I of course knew none of this when I showed up the first time at the doorstep of the gym, staring at my iPhone trying to figure out how this cement building in front of me constituted a pin drop on a Google maps "gym" search. The equipment is not even close to state of the art but it all works and the work ethic in a boxing gym is exponentially more intense than any other gym I have been to before.

Tony is convinced that the Stairmaster is going to get me to the top of the podium in ski racing. While I may sometimes question his expertise in ski specific workouts I certainly don't question his enthusiasm. I started talking with the head boxing trainer of the gym and began working in with his quick feet routines. The Stairmaster has also been getting some use, quite a good cardio workout. I haven't gotten in the ring yet with anybody, not quite sure I need another concussion, but it is certainly gnawing at me and by the end of the summer I know I'll have no choice. But damn those guys are big.

That's all for now, I'll have more to add when I actually sack up and go toe to toe with someone. Happy Memorial Day!

Sparring Thursdays

0 comments: