Monday, October 3, 2011

Cold Days in the Wrong Ways

On Friday the summer heat in DC not only turned down but it turned off. The city was down right cold, in the 40s and 50s. I'm a lot happier when it is 20 degrees and I have a winter jacket on than when it is 45 and I am in a t-shirt. This morning I spoke with someone in Fairbanks, Alaska who told me it is 54 degrees there. At the time in DC is was 53. I can't think of a time I've ever heard of DC being colder than Alaska.

Colder temperatures usually bring good news (as I mentioned in my last post) because it means even colder temperatures in the mountains. Unfortunately Loveland, CO, the first training site of the year in the US, has a high today of 82 degrees. I am supposed to be strapping on boards and training at Loveland in exactly 2 weeks and I am a little skeptical about this actually happening. Nonetheless, I got an email from my coaches last night say full steam ahead, that Oct. 17 is still happening....we'll see.

In other news, this week of football was particularly exciting as my Cincinnati Bengals and Detroit Lions (hey, when you're from Alaska you can choose anybody) both won in thrilling fashion. The Bengals knocked off the previously undefeated Buffalo Bills while the Detroit Lions snatched victory from the jaws of defeat by mounting the largest comeback against Dallas in the history of the Cowboys. And, as a little schadenfreude icing on the cake the Boston Red Sox completed the largest September collapse ever September in what had to be my favorite channel changing baseball watching moment ever. What a week!

Here is a link to the alpine buyer's guide from Ski Racing. Happy October everyone!

0 comments: