Saturday, January 14, 2012

Best. Shopping Trip. Ever.





For any ski racer, visiting the factory of your ski sponsor is something just short of a religious experience. There are no American companies that produce race skis so there is an added mystique about visiting the actual factory in Euroland instead of the USA distribution warehouse. These factories are usually in some small Austrian town and are a real hassle to get to. This all adds to the experience as the massive industrial buildings tower over you when you pull into the parking lot. From the outside it looks kind of mysterious, as if a million little Oompa-Loompas are in there working. And if the factory is the Wonka Chocolate Factory, the door labeled "race room" is the Inventing Room and Chocolate Room all rolled into one.


Nordica USA Super Rep Ethan Korpi set up a meeting for me in Mittersill, Austria to visit the Blizzard/Nordica factory for the first time and pick up some new skis. I decided to make it my first stop of the trip (couldn't help it) so after I landed in MUC I called Nordica and confirmed I had made it, got my bags and my rental car, and was off.

Upon arrival I met the Blizzard/Nordica race room manager, Mike Kogler, and presented him with a gift. Meetings with ski industry people always go better when you bring something sort of adult beverage as a welcome present. I picked up a large bottle of Tennessee's finest at the Duty Free, and not surprisingly was met with a warm smile. We instantly became friends.



Mike brought me over to show me my new GS skis, mounted with fresh bindings and oh so beautiful. He also asked me to bring 2 pairs of SL skis to the US, which I readily accepted. It was hard not to ask for two of everything in the room. After a couple tune-ups on other things, new bindings on my current race SLs skis, some boot work, I was on my way. Like the best things in life, it was all over way too quickly. I hate shopping for the most part, I basically don't do it outside of the holidays, but wow that was sweet. I now understand why people say it can be addictive. Not exactly sure how I'm going to squeeze 4 extra pairs of skis in my bags on the way home, but these are logistical problems I am only too happy to deal with. Time to make them turn, looking forward to racing!

0 comments: