Sunday, February 12, 2012

Shipping Out to Bansko

Charles Christianson alpine ski racing NorAm T2 Vail MacDermid

Life right now is very straight forward. Ski well in NorAms, race in a World Cup.


After racing in the MacDermid NorAm Cup in Vail, CO over the past week I was given the green light to race in the next World Cup, this time in Bansko, Bulgaria. I knew that if I skied fast during the NorAm GS races that I would have an opportunity at a WC spot, but up until the last run of the series things were not looking too hot.

I had fallen on the flats in the second run of the first race, and although I skied well otherwise and scored a career best result (barely), it wasn't a whole lot to go to the table with the USST and ask that they consider me for another WC spot. Luckily, I was able to turn things around on the second run of the last day, winning the run by 3 tenths and moving up from 19th position after first run to 5th overall, finishing as the top American.

It feels great to be heading back to the White Circus. I just finished booking my flight to Bansko, it’s always a bit scary booking an international 3 days before departure but whatever. I am currently at home in AK, competing in the FIS U races (experiencing every imaginable kind of weather) so I’m a little further away from Europe than usual. Staring Sunday morning at 1am my milk run itinerary is as follows: ANC-SEA-DEN-IAD-MUC, stop for two days of training, then to SOF. From Sofia, Bulgaria, I am told there is a 3-hour shuttle to Bansko. I will free ski the hill on Friday and race on Saturday. In any other situation I would cringe at a logistical schedule like this, but right now all I can do is grin.

Fingers crossed for the race (and to changing the flight itinerary). Whatever happens the journey is gonna be great. Thanks to everyone for their support and well wishes, off to Bulgaria!

PS- I found this little gem in the Alyeska Ski Club offices. It is the 1990-1991 Nastar  Alaska division season recap, in poster form! This relic is full of greats from Alaska's ski racing past, I don't even think they have Nastar in AK anymore. I was able to land second in the boys 5-6 category, damn you Loren Dreyer!

0 comments: