Monday, April 23, 2012

A Mammoth Rehab

Glen Plake!


It's been 4 weeks since my first knee surgery, and today I am beginning a two-week process to phase off of crutches. It's going to take a considerable amount of self control not to ditch the "sticks" all together and attempt to walk unassisted today, but I've been told numerous times by my doctor and by my physical therapists what a bad idea that would be and to keep the healing aspect of the rehab schedule in the forefront of my thoughts.

I have still been able to participate in some fun and meaningful end-of-season activities, crutches or not. I spent last weekend at the Mammoth Invitational, a fundraiser that supports underserved students and athletes in the local area (Mammoth Mountain Community Foundation) and top alpine skiers nationwide with disability protection (World Cup Dreams Foundation). The event is 3 days long, with professional skiers leading small groups of supporters, many of whom have kids ski areas or just wanted to have a great time. Activities ranged from a biathlon to a paneled slalom alpine race to Bavarian night to Monte Carlo night. I clearly wasn't skiing during this time so once again I found myself in the timing booth as the announcer, and brought each racer in to the finish line.

The atmosphere at the event was fun and laid back, but the list of (other) coaches the Invitational assembled was nothing short of impressive: Daron Rahlves, Kristian Ghedina, Christian Deville, Mike Janyk, Will Brandenburg, Scott Macartney, Glen Plake, Sherry McConkey, the list of great skiers went on and on. Some of the teams assembled costumes for each event, both on the hill and at night, adding to the festive atmosphere. On the last day, the Invitational assembled a "Heroes and Kids" autograph signing session for the kids, complete with pizza, ice cream, and jelly bean soda. It wasn't the most nutritional meal I've ever seen, but there was no doubt to how much fun the kids had.

The event was a huge success, the Invitational raised a bunch of money for the community and for World Cup Dreams Foundation. I felt lucky to help out the ski community and also see some of my best friends in the ski world at the same time. It was great to reconnect with so many people after ending this ski season on such a sour note. The support was encouraging, and it made me want to get right back out on the slopes. To make that final step takes a lot off little ones, so for now, I'll focus on phasing off the crutches.

My next doc apt is in 4 more weeks, at which point I will find out how quickly I can get the next surgery to put in an ACL. Fingers crossed it's soon!


Autograph signing at "Heroes and Kids"

Will Brandenburg signing autographs by day...

Will Brandenburg (left) rocking a one-piece sequin suit by night. Some of us had more fashion forward teams than others.  Also pictured, myself and other Dream Team member Adam Cole on Monte Carlo night.

0 comments: