Sunday, January 31, 2010

On to Italia

The road show continues into Italy where I have spent the last week in and out of the Dolomites racing mostly giant slalom. Right now giant slalom or “gs” is not my best event. I have found it hard to get the timing of initiating my turn, and so it has been a bit of a struggle for me to get any results worth mentioning. However, marginal results cannot detract from the ridiculous views that skiing in the Dolomites provides. Racing in Europe is free, the race entry and lift tickets do not cost anything, making this a very affordable trip. However, even if I were paying for my lift ticket I would consider this place to be the best bang for my buck. For 35-40 Euros you can get a Dolomiti Superpass, good for over 12,000 km of skiable acres at 12 ski areas all on the same ticket! They all connect in some way (ski runs, tram, or bus) making this about 3x bigger than any ski area in the US. Crazy. I’ll post pics soon.

Anyway, tomorrow I begin the slalom portion of my race schedule, which I am very much looking forward to. I have bounced back much faster in this event and a couple of good results will turn this trip from a great experience into a successful race campaign.

Next week I will be returning to Burke for some training and working with kids in the Burke Mountain Ski & Ride program. Europe’s great an all but nothing beats being back on home snow. I’ll let you know how things end up here, talk to you soon!

0 comments: