Monday, February 15, 2010

Olympics


How sweet is the Olympics. It’s no secret that every four years all kinds of people, including some whom normally don’t watch TV (my parents) turn their attention to the Olympics and its athletes for exactly 17 days before typical sport story lines take over the airwaves again. But for these two and half weeks D Wade can’t top Apollo Ohno in popularity; the Duke-UNC basketball game winner isn’t as important as who takes gold in the downhill. So when I watch the opening ceremonies and see people that I have competed against for the better part of my life smiling while decked out in USA gear, it reaffirms that making it to the big show is a real possibility and also how bright the spotlight of the Olympics is.

I’m only 3 years 350 days before the next Olympic selections, currently in Park City for races that many Vancouver Olympic racers in the tech events are using for practice. The Swedish Olympic team is also here training before the tech events, donning their new Olympic suits, which ups the intensity a little bit. I however was not able to race today. 5 days ago I compressed my ankle in a GS at Stowe, breaking my ski and binding in a crash. I was hopeful that I would be able to race in these high quality races, to the extent that I still flew out here and had a bib this morning. But after a warm up run I realized that it wasn’t in the cards. I am going to sit out tomorrow as well and prepare for the two slalom races on Wednesday. I’m crossing my fingers.

On Thursday I head back to the East. Looking to rest up during the next couple of week before an onslaught of racing later in March. Go USA! Talk to you soon.

0 comments: